Pages

Thursday 8 January 2015

Being yourself is cool

One thing I've learnt through my now almost six years of high school is not to wear my heart on my sleeve. Not everyone you meet is going to like you and there are some mean people in this world, I was just too young and naive to see it. 

When I started high school I was 12 years old and was such a shy, quiet creature that was too scared to talk to new people because of the constant fear of being judged and unlike. As soon as someone spoke to me and included me, I instantly like them and thought they were my friend. I guess you could say I was a lost puppy trying to find a home. Me being me, let everyone walk all over me and tell me what to do because I didn't want to be disliked. 

I attempted to dress like all the other girls, when I was younger, I was a bit of a tom-boy and lived in jogging bottoms and football shirts. Probably because I have 2 brothers and just wanted to fit in with them. But when I got to high school and saw all the girls wearing skinny jeans or skirts, cardigans and floral tops, I started to think I was weird for dressing like I did. So in an attempt to fit in, I put on a disguise to hide who I really was, just to fit in. 

When I went into third year (14 years old) I realised that being liked or 'popular' is not the most important thing. I stopped wearing the clothes that made me seem 'cool' and stopped clinging to people who didn't care one bit for me. I was never in the 'popular' crowd at school because I was was in love with books and film series such as Harry Potter and Lord if the Rings, therefore considered a 'geek'. But I fitted in and was accepted by my small group of friends which made me happy with my school life. 

However, through out life you make friends and you lose friends, that's just the way the world works. The people who you thought were going to be your best friends for life slowly drift away from you and become strangers, and the people you never in a million years thought you would talk you are now your closest friends. 

You shouldn't have to change who YOU are to make people like YOU. If people don't like YOU for YOU then you're wasting your time hanging on to false hope. There is at least one person in this world who is going to like you for the real you, not a disguise of who you truly are. 

The world works in a very strange way, but let me tell you, everything happens for a reason. Life is full of the hardest decisions you'll make and, therefore, full of changes, some for the worst, some for the better. The only thing you can do is keep your head held high and be happy with who you are as a person and have a positive outlook on the story you are writing. It could be possibly the most boring story in existence to some people, but as long as you're happy with your story, who is there to try and re-write it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment